Away Days

Click on the club logos to find information on the ground, facilities, how to get there etc. and the text to go the Clubs main website.

ADSA cannot guarantee that the information provided in these documents are both accurate and up to date.

Arsenal FCIn 1888, just two years after the formation of the Club, Arsenal, then called Royal Arsenal, adopted its first crest. This was based largely on the coat of arms of the Borough of Woolwich. The Club was based in the Borough from its formation until 1913, playing at Plumstead Common; Sportsman Ground; Manor Ground; Invicta Ground and the Manor Ground again before heading across London to Highbury, Islington prior to the move to Emirates Stadium. The original badge comprised three columns, which, although they look like chimneys, are in actual fact cannons. The significance of the cannons to the Borough of Woolwich derives from the long military history surrounding the area. The Royal Arsenal, Royal Artillery Regiment and various military hospitals – which still dot the landscape today – were all prominent in the Borough. The cannons on the original crest were obviously a reference to the military influence in Woolwich and despite the Club’s ties with the area being cut 89 years ago, the cannon theme has developed throughout the years and has remained prominent on the Gunners different crests down the years, including the new design. In the early days the crest was not as significant a part of a football club’s identity as it is today. Shirts remained plain, unless commemorating a significant match, an FA Cup Final for example, and the crest was generally reserved for official headed stationery, matchday programmes and handbooks. Following Arsenal’s move north to Highbury in 1913, it wasn’t immediately apparent that the Club would embrace the Woolwich Arsenal legacy and keep the cannon as a recognisable motif. The Club soon became just ‘Arsenal’, the Great War affected football for four seasons and recommencing in 1919/20 ‘normal’ football took some time to settle. During all of this period there was no sign of a crest as such but, in the first matchday programme of the 1922/23 season, when the Gunners played Burnley, a new club crest was revealed – a fearsome looking cannon – that would have sat proudly in the Royal Arsenal of Woolwich. As can be seen the vertical cannons have gone with the new design featuring a single eastward pointing cannon. Whoever designed this robust looking weapon saw his handiwork used by the Club for just three seasons however, and for the start of the 1925/26 season, the Gunners changed to a westward pointing, narrower cannon with the legend ‘The Gunners’ remaining next to it. The derivation of the narrower cannon has never been officially confirmed, but the cannons on the crest of the Royal Arsenal Gatehouse in Woolwich are uncannily similar to that used as the Gunners’ symbol. This cannon crest remained prominent in the Arsenal matchday programme and other publications for 17 seasons. It changed slightly through the years with the wording eventually disappearing, but despite being usurped by the Victoria Concordia Crescit crest in 1949 it has remained a basic symbol of the Club ever since, featuring on official merchandise and stationary throughout the years right up until the present day. The VCC crest , which the current crest replaced, had been Arsenal’s symbol since appearing in the first programme of season 1949/50. It would appear to have been in the minds of the Gunners hierarchy for at least a year prior to this. In the final matchday programme of the 1947/48 League Championship winning season, ‘Marksman’ (aka Harry Homer), the programme editor of the day, wrote: “...my mind seeks an apt quotation with which to close this season which has been such a glorious one for Tom Whittaker, Joe Mercer and all connected with The Gunners. Shall we turn for once to Latin? ‘Victoria Concordia Crescit’. Translation: ‘Victory grows out of harmony.’” Two seasons later and Arsenal unveiled its new crest which incorporated Marksman’s Latin maxim. Tom Whittaker explained in the 1949/50 handbook (which also included the new crest) that the Club had been impressed by Marksman’s motto and it had now been officially adopted by the Club. The new crest also featured ‘Arsenal’ in a gothic style typeface, the westward facing cannon, the Borough of Islington’s coat of arms and ermine. For the next 53 years this crest remained largely unchanged (7), though at the start of the 2001/02 season it was ‘cleaned up’ somewhat for commercial reasons, with a solid yellow replacing the different tones of gold and Victoria Concordia Crescit written in a less ornate typeface. The Club’s identity has thus evolved over the years and the decision to formulate a new crest in 2002 was two-fold. Firstly, as the VCC crest incorporated many separate elements introduced over a number of years, there was uncertainty surrounding its exact origination. Consequently, the Club was unable to copyright the crest. Secondly, it had always been one of the Club’s primary objectives to embrace the future and move forward. With Emirates Stadium on the horizon and the Gunners consistently challenging for domestic and European honours, the Club believed it was the ideal time to introduce a new crest. The shirt for the 2011/12 season featured a special 125th anniversary crest design (10) combining the graphic of the first Club crest with the current version. The celebratory design features 15 laurel leaves to the left side of the Club's crest to reflect the detail on the reverse of the six pence pieces paid by 15 men to establish the Club - the laurel leaves also represent strength. The 15 oak leaves to the right of the crest acknowledge the founders who would meet in the local Royal Oak pub. Underneath the crest is one of the first recorded mottos related to the armament and battle - 'Forward' - with the anniversary dates of 1886 and 2011 either side of the heart of the shirt.

AFC BournemouthThe crest is black red and white with the text AFC Bournemouth at the bottom.

BrightonThe logo is a circle in blue and white apart from the beak of the seagul which is yellow. Brighton and Hove Albion adorn the crest with the seagull on a blue background.

BurnleyThe shield is in yellow red blue and black. From bottom to top: a ribbon with the club name in a chunky font; a lion, rampant; some kind of ziggurat; a couple of accompanying diamonds; a raised hand flanked by bees; and, finally, the crowning glory that is a goose with some feathers in its mouth, standing on a claret-and-blue barber's pole, trying to shake an egg off its foot.

Cardiff CityFrom 1908 Cardiff played in unadorned shirts. This changed in 1959, when they played in shirts with a simple crest featuring an image of a bluebird. The following season their shirts were featureless, and remained so until 1965, when they played in shirts with the word "Bluebirds" embroidered. A new crest, similar to the one previously used and again featuring a bluebird, was introduced in 1969. Variations on this crest remained until the 1980s, when extra features including words and additional motifs were added. A major change was made in 2012, when owner Vincent Tan attempted to rebrand the club in order to expand the club's appeal outside Wales. This change gave large prominence to the Welsh Dragon, reducing the bluebird to a minor feature. In March 2015, Cardiff announced a new crest which would predominantly feature the Bluebird once again with an oriental dragon replacing the standard Welsh dragon.

ChelseaThe crest is a circle with the colours blue red and white. In the mid 1980s Le Coq Sportif decided to change the crest to a lion sitting on top of CFC lettering which was not popular with Chelsea fans, as it looked too similar to Millwall's crest. Finally in 2005 Chelsea reverted to the old lion crest, with some amendments as the club was not willing to pay the Earl of Cadogan for the rights to use the old badge.

Crystal PalaceThe latest club badge, which was revealed in May 2013, was designed with the 1973 crest in mind. The towers, glass building and eagle were all retained in the design, with the badge given a fresher, modern feel thanks to the use of modern technology, with a simplified version depicting just the eagle and the ball being used on casual clothing and other merchandise.

EvertonThe crest is blue and white with the text Everton 1878 and 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum - 'Nothing but the best is good enough'. An image of the tower is above Everton - The 'Everton Tower' or 'Prince Rupert's Tower' - the ‘Beacon' to which he refers - has been inextricably linked with the Everton area since its construction in 1787. It still stands today on Everton Brow in Netherfield Road.

FulhamIn 2001, a shield with an angled red FFC on a black and white striped background was introduced for the first Premier League campaign.

Huddersfield TownThe current club crest uses one of the most popular badges, but adds the three stars for the three successive league titles won by Town in the 1920s. The badge is surrounded by a shield, with the stars floating above. This crest has been used by the club since 2002.

Leicester CityThe Crest is a circle with blue, white and yellow colours. The fox in the centre of the crest is yellow and the text is blue. An image of a fox was first incorporated into the club crest in 1948, as Leicestershire is known for foxes and fox hunting.

LiverpoolThe crest is green, red, white and yellow. At the top it shows 'You'll never walk alone with Liverpool Football Club below and 'est. 1892'. The eternal flames were added in memory of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster in an adapted crest used from 1993 until it was superseded in 1999. with a Liver bird in the middle.

Manchester United manchester-united

Manchester CityCity have previously worn three other badges on their shirts, prior to their current badge which was implemented in 2016. The first, introduced in 1970, was based on designs which had been used on official club documentation since the mid-1960s. It consisted of a circular badge which used the same shield as the current badge, inside a circle bearing the name of the club. In 1972, this was replaced by a variation which replaced the lower half of the shield with the red rose of Lancashire. On occasions when Manchester City plays in a major cup final, the usual badge has not been used; instead shirts bearing a badge of the arms of the City of Manchester are used, as a symbol of pride in representing the city of Manchester at a major event. This practice originates from a time when the players' shirts did not normally bear a badge of any kind but has continued throughout the history of the club. For the 2011 FA Cup Final, City used the usual badge with a special legend, but the Manchester coat of arms was included as a small monochrome logo in the numbers on the back of players' shirts. A new club badge was adopted in 1997, as a result of the previous badge being ineligible for registration as a trademark. This badge was based on the arms of the city of Manchester, and consisted of a shield in front of a golden eagle. The eagle is an old heraldic symbol of the city of Manchester; a golden eagle was added to the city's badge in 1958 (but has since been removed), representing the growing aviation industry. The shield features a ship on its upper half representing the Manchester Ship Canal, and three diagonal stripes in the lower half symbolise the city's three rivers – the Irwell, the Irk and the Medlock. The bottom of the badge bears the motto "Superbia in Proelio", which translates as "Pride in Battle" in Latin. Above the eagle and shield are three stars, which are purely decorative. On 15 October 2015, following years of criticism from the fans over the design of the 1997 badge, the club announced they intended to carry out a fan consultation on whether to disregard the club badge and institute a new design. After the consultation, the club announced in late November 2015 the current club badge would be replaced in due course by a new version which would be designed in the style of the older, circular variants. A design purporting to be the new badge was unintentionally leaked two days early prior to the official unveiling on 26 December 2015 by the IPO when the design was trademarked on 22 December. The new design was officially unveiled at the club's home match on 26 December against Sunderland.

Newcastle UnitedAs iconic as our famous black and white stripes and as unique as the silhouette of St. James’ Park, our club crest captures the identity of Newcastle United and the city of Newcastle upon Tyne. The club’s current and perhaps most famous crest – synonymous with the Entertainers Era of the mid-nineties – was created in 1988. It heralded the return of the overall shape and several elements from the city’s Coat of Arms, namely the supporting seahorses, castle, demi lion and an amended pennon. Inside an inner shield, gilded in gold, the club’s black and white stripes were added while the club’s name was added in a grand, scrolling blue banderole.

Southampton FCFormed in 1885 by members of St. Mary's Church Young Men's Association the club known still to this day as The Saints did not knowingly wear a crest on their shirts until 1974. Previous to that the club was represented by their town's coat of arms. In 1973 The Saints launched a competition to design a new crest for the club to launch in the 74/75 season. The winning design represented the local area and the clubs history including a Hampshire Rose, a tree to represent the nearby New Forest, a scarf to represent the fans complete with a halo for the founding saints. With small tweaks throughout the 1980s the club released its only major change to the design in the mid nineties with an adaption of the Football in the top centre of the crest. This change apparently came in so the club could fully copyright the crest as their own. For the clubs 125th anniversary The Saints adopted a commemorative crest for the 2010/11 season. Then in 2013 a one off kit special appeared in a simple gold and red colour scheme. Thankful the club reverted to the full colour classic the following season.

Tottenham HotspurSince the 1921 FA Cup final the Tottenham Hotspur crest has featured a cockerel. Harry Hotspur, after whom the club is named, was said to have been given the nickname Hotspur as he dug in his spurs to make his horse go faster as he charged in battles, and he was also said to be fond of fighting cocks fitted with spurs. The club used spurs as a symbol in 1900, which then evolved into a fighting cock. A former player named William James Scott made a bronze cast of a cockerel standing on a football at a cost of £35, and this 9-foot 6-inch figure was then placed on top of the West Stand the end of the 1909–10 season. Since then the cockerel and ball emblem has become a part of the club's identity. Between 1956 and 2006 Spurs used a faux heraldic shield featuring a number of local landmarks and associations. The lions flanking the shield came from the Northumberland family (of which Harry Hotspur was a member). The castle is Bruce Castle, 400 yards from the ground and the trees are the Seven Sisters. The arms featured the Latin motto Audere Est Facere (to dare is to do). In 1983, to overcome unauthorised "pirate" merchandising, the club's badge was altered by adding the two red heraldic lions and the motto scroll. This device appeared on most Spurs' playing kits for the next 23 years. In 2006, in order to rebrand and modernise the club's image, the club badge and coat of arms were replaced by a professionally designed logo/emblem. This revamp showed to be more sleeker and elegant on an old-time football. The club claims that they dropped their club name and would be using the rebranded logo only. In November 2013, Tottenham forced non-league club Fleet Spurs to change their badge because its new design was "too similar" to the Tottenham crest.

WatfordThe crest is red, yellow and black. The head of the hart is red. The familiar Watford FC club crest or badge features the ‘head of a hart’, the symbol of the county of Hertfordshire, and not a stag or moose, as many people often think. Hart is a male deer, commonly of the red deer, Cervus elaphus, especially after its fifth year.

West Ham UnitedThe most-recent change to the crest came in summer 2016, with a new shape based on the bow of HMS Warrior, the first armour-plated, iron-hulled warship built and launched at Thames Ironworks in 1860. The claret and blue colours remain prominent, with a new, modern, digital-friendly typeface and the addition of the word ‘London’ (pictured above, right), in reference to both the Club’s move to the Olympic Stadium on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and its growing global standing.

WolvesThe Crest is a hexagon in black yellow and white. After merging with local side Wanderers F.C. in 1879 Wolverhampton Wanderers started life playing in their school colours of blue and white. It wasn't until 1881 that the club registered as Gold and Black, a distinctive option taken from the town's coat of arms colours. This change also saw the club adopt the coat of arm as their official crest which carried the motto ‘Out of Darkness Cometh Light’. During a brief stay in the lower divisions the club were known to play in kits featuring a bold V alongside the town's coat of arms inside a black shield layout. This stayed in place until the 1970s when the club introduced a sleek modern approach to their crest with a WW type treatment alongside a leaping wolf... this evolved into three leaping wolves come 1974. The club entered the 1970s with a return to the top flight and a new crest. The head on wolf design in a simplistic graphic form would stay in place for a decade, alongside the coat of arms reappearing for the 1993 season. The next major change in 1996 with a re-work to hold up the clubs full title. In 2002 with a new approach in squad and ownership the club relaunched with a simplistic new crest harking back to the 1970s whilst becoming one of the most recognisable crests in English Football.